A trial lawyer with a concentration in intellectual property litigation, Bruce focuses his practice on the acquisition, protection, and commercial exploitation of U.S. and foreign patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. He has served as lead counsel in trial court and on appeal in cases involving copyright infringement, trademark infringement, patent infringement, false advertising, unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets, and enforcement and interpretation of related license agreements.
Bruce also has significant experience conducting due diligence review of U.S. and foreign intellectual property assets during the acquisition and sale of companies; in transactional work involving the licensing and financing of patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and know-how; and in negotiating and enforcing employment and independent-contractor agreements related to the ownership or acquisition of intellectual property.
Awards & Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America- Minneapolis Copyright Law "Lawyer of the Year" (2017)
- Best Lawyers in America - Minneapolis Trademark Law "Lawyer of the Year" (2015)
- Best Lawyers in America (2011–2015, 2017)
- Minnesota Super Lawyers (1992–2016)
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association (2014)
- AB Nybro Glasbruk v. Topmost Designs, Inc., et al.: Obtained injunction, seizure, and order of destruction of counterfeit glass trophies copyright law on behalf of copyright owner, a Swedish distributor of crystal golf trophies. (U.S. District Court, Central District of California).
- Act One Photography, Inc. v. Cable News Network LP, LLLP: Enforced copyrights in theatrical photographs of fugitive Sara Jane Olsen in infringement action against network. (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota).
- AEI Fund Management, Inc. v. The Geneva Organization: Represented real estate investment firm in copyright infringement action alleging unauthorized copying of unique transaction documents. (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota).
- Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company et al. v. Alphapharm Pty, Ltd.: Co-counsel in defense of importer of generic heart medication sued for infringement under the Hatch-Waxman Act. (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota; U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit).
- A&L Laboratories, Inc. v. Bou-Matic L.L.C.: Successfully established client’s ownership of trademarks in chemical compositions used for sanitation in dairy farming and obtained royalty from former private label supplier who sought to market independently. (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota; and U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit).
- Barker v. Charthouse International Learning Corporation: Represented film producer in obtaining declaration of exclusive ownership of copyrights in motivational films. (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota).
- Batesville Casket Company et al. v. Funeral Depot, Inc.: Defended Internet casket retailer in copyright infringement action based upon linking to and framing of images published on other websites. (U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana).
- Cutting Edge Creations, Inc. v. Rent-A-Jumper, Inc. et al.: Enforced copyrights in inflatable sculptures in infringement action against competitors. (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota).
- Hammers Construction v. Symington Construction: Enforced copyrights in design of building in infringement action against competitor; recovered payment from defendant’s insurer in separate action following assignment of rights. (U.S. District Court, District of North Dakota; Pembina County, state of North Dakota).
- In re KB Consultants: Represented software company in successful appeal of rejection of application to register “KB and design” trademark. (Trademark Trial and Appeal Board).
- Landsted LLC and Landsted Homes, Inc. v. Lindgren et al.: Represented architects and designers in enforcing copyright in home designs. (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota).
- Legacy, Inc. v. Tekserve POS, LLC et al.: Defeated motion for injunction sought against manufacturer of point-of-sale technology based on allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets and violations of the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois).
- Mark Anthony Homes, Inc. v. Salstrom et al.: Enforced copyright in home designs on behalf of builder. (U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin).
- Mindware Holdings, Inc. et al v. B.Dazzle, Inc. et al.: Vindicated rights of developer of games in dispute with competitor related to copyright infringement, defamation, trade libel, and unfair competition. (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota).
- NetBank, Inc. v. The RiverBank: Obtained dismissal of lawsuit against Wisconsin bank alleging trademark infringement on jurisdictional grounds and resolved allegations of trademark infringement based on use of term “netbanking” on client’s website. (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia; U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota).
- Sportsman’s Warehouse, Inc. v. Fair et al.: Represented national chain of sporting goods store to obtain declaration of non-infringement and invalidity of copyrights in sculptures of wild animals. (U.S. District Court, District of Colorado).
- Sullivan Supply, Inc., v. Jobe: Enforced copyrights in cattle care products catalog, obtaining permanent injunction and award of attorney fees. (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Oklahoma).
- Rapid Rack Industries, Inc. v. Tricam Industries, Inc.: Defended manufacturer and importer of GORILLA CARTS® against trademark infringement claim. (U.S. District Court, Central District of California).
- In re Tricam Industries, Inc.: Represented manufacturer and importer of ladders in successful appeal of rejection of application to register UNIFRAME trademark. (Trademark Trial and Appeal Board).
- Particle Measuring Systems, Inc. v. TSI, Inc.: Defended manufacturer of precision measurement instruments against allegations of patent infringement. (U.S. District Court, District of Colorado).
- Valtira, LLC v. Atlassian Software Systems Pty Ltd. et al.: Obtained dismissal of pre-emptive lawsuit filed in state court against software developer client and established ownership rights in copyright of ROLE CALL™ software product. (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota; San Francisco County, state court of California).
- ZCL Composites, Inc. v. Xerxes Corporation: Represented Canadian manufacturer of underground storage tanks in declaratory judgment and patent infringement dispute arising from international distribution agreement. (ZCL Composites and Xerxes are now under common ownership). (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota).
You may use the wildcard symbol (*) as a root expander. A search for "anti*" will find not only "anti", but also "anti-trust", "antique", etc.
Entering two terms together in a search field will behave as though an "OR" is being used. For example, entering "Antique Motorcars" as a Client Name search will find results with either word in the Client Name.
AND and OR may be used in a search. Note: they must be capitalized, e.g., "Project AND Finance."
The + and - sign operators may be used. The + sign indicates that the term immediately following is required, while the - sign indicates to omit results that contain that term. E.g., "+real -estate" says results must have "real" but not "estate".
To perform an exact phrase search, surround your search phrase with quotation marks. For example, "Project Finance".
Searches are not case sensitive.