For more than 20 years, Tim Murphy has represented privately and publicly held companies across a range of industries on matters including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, private equity, venture financing, corporate governance, and securities regulation.
Tim serves as outside general counsel to publicly and privately held companies, including several of his clients' portfolio companies. He advises businesses and individuals with respect to corporate governance, shareholder rights, venture financing, private offerings, securities regulation, joint ventures, commercial contracts, product distribution, licensing, and risk management.
Tim also represents clients seeking to acquire, lease or share in the use of privately-owned aircraft, including through fractional ownership programs. He advises clients on aircraft ownership and operating structures, purchase and sale negotiations and documentation, leasing and financing, and related regulatory matters.
Awards & Recognition
- Minnesota Super Lawyers
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association (2013)
- Twin Citires Business Journal, "Private Equity Players" (2006)
- Represented U.S. Water Services, Inc., an ALLETE Company, in purchase of A and W Technologies, Inc.
- Represented founders and management owners of U.S. Water Services, Inc. in sale of a majority interest of U.S. Water, Inc. to ALLETE, Inc. for $168 million.
- Represented Spell Capital affiliate, NPI Medical in sale to Tonka Bay Equity Partners affiliate, NPI Holdings, LLC.
- Represented Accurate Home Care Holdings, LLC in recapitalization transaction with Generation Growth Capital affiliate, AHCH Holdings, Inc.
- Represented TA Associates affiliate, Dymatize Management Holdings, Inc. in sale of Dymatize, Inc. to Post Holdings Inc. for $380 million.
- Represented Spell Capital affiliate, American Card Services Holding, LLC with acquisition of Production Services Associates.
- Represented Spell Capital affiliate American Card Services Holding, LLC (formerly DMI Acquisition, LLC) in acquisition of Vesta Card Services.
- Represented Spell Capital affiliate DMI Acquisition, LLC in acquisition of Data Manufacturing, Inc.
- Represented U.S. Water Services, Inc. in acquisition of Wellons Water Technology, LLC.
- Represented U.S. Water Services, Inc. in recapitalization transaction with Excellere Capital Partners affiliate, Global Water Services, Inc.
- Represented Motion Tech Automation, Inc. in recapitalization transaction with Cardinal Equity Partners.
- Represented Alquest, Inc. in sale to North American Science Associates, Inc.
- Represented Millennium Ethanol, LLC in sale to US BioEnergy Corporation for $225 million.
- Represented Golden Oval Eggs, LLC in purchase of selected assets of Land O’Lakes, Inc. affiliate, Moark, LLC for $60 million.
- Represented Churchill Capital Affiliate, Mechanical Dynamics & Analysis, LLC to Hitachi, Ltd.
- Represented Definity Health Corp. in sale to United Health Group for $300 million.
- Represented Churchill Capital affiliate, Mechanical Dynamics & Analysis, LLC in strategic joint venture with Hitachi, Ltd.
- Represented Churchill Capital affiliate, Holz Precision, Inc. in sale to Saint-Gobain Ceramics & Plastics, Inc. for $102 million.
- Represented Churchill Capital in acquisition of Holz Precision, Inc.
- Represented Churchill Capital in acquisition of Mechanical Dynamics and Analysis, Inc.
- Represented Four51, Inc. in Preferred Stock Offering.
- Represented BiteSquad, LLC. in Preferred Equity Offering.
- Represented Compellent Technologies, Inc. in Series A Preferred Stock Offering.
- Regularly represent individuals and companies with the acquisition, leasing or sharing in the use of privately-owned aircraft, including through fractional ownership programs such as NetJets and Flexjet, as well as companies and investment funds with the acquisition, leasing and sale of aircraft, aircraft engines and other components.
Media & Presentations
28th Annual Minnesota Venture & Finance Conference
"Splitting 'Heirs': Extracting Owners from Dysfunctional Family and Closely Held Businesses and Properties"
Minnesota State Bar Association 38th Annual Probate & Trust Law Section Conference
You may use the wildcard symbol (*) as a root expander. A search for "anti*" will find not only "anti", but also "anti-trust", "antique", etc.
Entering two terms together in a search field will behave as though an "OR" is being used. For example, entering "Antique Motorcars" as a Client Name search will find results with either word in the Client Name.
AND and OR may be used in a search. Note: they must be capitalized, e.g., "Project AND Finance."
The + and - sign operators may be used. The + sign indicates that the term immediately following is required, while the - sign indicates to omit results that contain that term. E.g., "+real -estate" says results must have "real" but not "estate".
To perform an exact phrase search, surround your search phrase with quotation marks. For example, "Project Finance".
Searches are not case sensitive.