The mission of Lindquist & Vennum has always been simple: Provide superior service to clients. Give back to the community.
The firm's journey began when attorneys from two law firms on parallel courses decided to draw lines in the sand.
1946: Leonard Lindquist and Judge Earl Larson founded Larson & Lindquist. They envisioned the firm as a home base from which lawyers could move into the community and public life.
The Vennum group was also established in 1946. The original trio of Tom Vennum, Phil Neville and Norm Newhall was later joined by Larry Ackman, John Goetz, Mel Orenstein and Dick FitzGerald.
1960: Spurred by entrepreneurs who sought business advice, each firm increased its practice focus on business law, emphasizing service to small- and mid-sized enterprises.
1964: Firm similarities led to thoughts of a merger between what was then Lindquist, Magnuson & Glennon and Vennum, Newhall, Ackman & Goetz.
Mel Orenstein of Vennum and Jerry Magnuson of Lindquist were law school pals. Their families were vacationing in Bermuda when the pair mulled a merger. Orenstein and Magnuson carved a proposal for a 34-member organization in the beach sand. In 1968, Lindquist & Vennum became a reality.
1972: The firm relocates to the IDS Center in the heart of Minneapolis. Before Lindquist & Vennum became one of the first tenants of the gleaming new structure on Minneapolis’ Nicollet Mall, we had offices in the nearby Northwest Bank Building.
1991: Lindquist & Vennum joined with several members of the Denver firm of Sherman & Howard to form Lindquist, Vennum & Christensen.
2012: Lindquist & Vennum opens an office in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
Today: More than 185 attorneys offer a broad range of legal services to our clients. Lindquist & Vennum is well established in the Upper Midwest and Rocky Mountain regions and has national and international practices.