For more than 20 years, Barb Rummel has counseled boards of directors, executive officers and owners of public and privately held businesses in making critical business decisions involving strategic objectives, corporate finance, and mergers and acquisitions. Known for her integrity and dedication to the success of the business she works with, Barb endeavors to keep clients’ business objectives at the forefront of every matter.
Barb has completed numerous M&A transactions involving public and privately held businesses. These deals have ranged in transaction size from under $10 million to over $1 billion. Her experience covers various industries, with particular emphasis on the life sciences, including medical device, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology companies.
Her extensive experience with initial public offerings and securities laws affecting publicly-held corporations enables Barb to competently manage complex governance issues.
Barb currently serves on the firm’s management committee and is past chair of the firm’s Life Sciences industry group. She also represents Lindquist & Vennum within TAGLaw, an international network of over 150 independent law firms in 100 countries, and recently served on the TAGLaw Advisory Board. Barb was a member of the American Bar Association's House of Delegates from 1989-1990.
Barb’s community involvement has included a five-year tenure on the board of directors for the Hope Chest for Breast Cancer Foundation, an organization dedicated to fighting breast cancer and serving people affected by it.
- Advised publicly-held medical device manufacturer in exclusive license/option to purchase competitive product line
- Represented independent insurance agency in sale to industry leader building a national platform
- Advised two portfolio companies in sales by private equity owners to strategic buyers
- Local counsel for buyer (a subsidiary of a global healthcare company) in $360 million tender offer of publicly-held medical device company
- Counsel to publicly-held medical device manufacturer in $100 million tender offer sale to industrial technology company
- Represented medical device developer in $260 million sale to world leading medical technology company
- Represented biomedical manufacturer in license of technology platform from major US research institution
- Advised pharmaceutical company on equity investment in connection with an intellectual property licensing transaction with a UK-based development company
- Assisted private entity with $4 million private placement of debt
- “New World Sources for Medtech Capital,” Dealmaker Counsel, Lindquist & Vennum, 2012
- A Guide to Biotechnology Finance – Supplement, contributing editor and contributing writer, Lindquist & Vennum, 2009
- A Guide to Biotechnology Finance, contributing editor and contributing writer, Lindquist & Vennum, 2005
Honors and Awards
- Moderator, “Views From Serial Entrepreneurs: The Landscape Today vs. 5-10 Years Ago,” MidAmerica Healthcare Venture Forum, Minneapolis, 2012
- Panel Chair, “New World Sources of MedTech Capital,” LifeScience Alley 10th Annual Conference & Expo, Minneapolis, 2011
- Presenter, “Successfully Executing the M&A Transaction,” The Collaborative Growth Series, Minneapolis, 2011
- Panel Chair, “Strategic Growth in the New World Economy,” LifeScience Alley 9th Annual Conference & Expo, Minneapolis, 2010
- Panel Chair, “Strategies for Weathering the Economy," LifeScience Alley 8th Annual Conference & Expo, Minneapolis, 2009
- Panel Chair, "Growth Through Licensing and Acquisitions—What are Global Leaders Looking For?," LifeScience Alley 7th Annual Conference & Expo, Minneapolis, 2008
- Co-chair, Bowne Legal and Accounting Issues Update, Minneapolis, 2008
- "Venturing Fundamentals: The Keys to Successful Financing and Growth," August 2006
- "Recent Developments in Form 8-K and Earnings Release Requirements: Welcome to Real Time," SEC Issues Update (Glasser Legal Works), May 2004
- "Securities Regulation 2003," Minnesota Institute of Legal Education, March 2003
- "Insurance Industry Mergers and Acquisitions," Minnesota Insurance Federation, February 2002
- SEC Issues Update (Glasser Legal Works), May 2001
- "Financing the High Growth Enterprise" (University of St. Thomas), March 2001
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2003, 2004, 2006-2008
- Minnesota Rising Star, 2004
- “Forty Under 40,” Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, 2004