For over 30 years, David Allgeyer has practiced in the areas of intellectual property litigation, arbitration, and commercial litigation. He litigates, arbitrates and mediates cases in state and federal trial and appellate courts and hearing rooms throughout the United States, including those involving intellectual property protection and licensing, patents, trademarks, trade secrets, and copyrights, as well as related issues of unfair competition. David also works with issues involving contractual obligations relating to medical devices, software, computer systems, and sales of products in the electronics manufacturing, heavy equipment and other industries.
David has been an arbitrator in over sixty commercial arbitrations and has successfully mediated dozens of cases ranging from patent, trademark, copyright and other commercial disputes to disputes in virtually all areas of civil law.
Publications and Presentations
Honors and Awards
Best Lawyers in America
- Won summary judgment of non-infringement in defending our client, a manufacturer of underground pipe replacement equipment, in the U.S. District Court, San Francisco.
- Represented manufacturing client in a suit against a software company because key software provided and developed did not meet contractual requirements. Favorable settlement reached.
- Successful defense in arbitration against claims for breach of software license and alleged misappropriation of trade secrets and damages alleged to be millions of dollars. Prevailed on breach of contract counterclaim. Arbitration Award confirmed by Federal District Court.
- Enforcement of software and hardware patents through litigation in smart card personalization equipment industry, resulting in favorable settlement for lost profits and lost royalties caused by infringement.
- Successfully defended the registration of a trademark before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Enforced our client’s patent against infringing consumer healthcare products, resulting in requiring the infringing product to be removed from the market.
- After learning the market was receiving unfounded threats of patent infringement against our client’s underground construction equipment, initiated a declaratory judgment action, resulting in settlement and cessation of threats.
- Enforced exclusive patent-licensing rights in an arbitration, resulting in return of our client’s licensed patents and a royalty settlement, eventually allowing sale of the company.
- Successfully enforced our client’s trade-dress rights for an iconic product used in the golfing industry against a knock-off product.
- Successfully defended against claims of trade-dress infringement against our client for a lighting industry product, including a ruling in favor of our client by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- After successfully defending against a motion to enjoin our client from using its mark and name in the banking industry, resolving the matter in a way that met our client’s business objectives.
- Achieved dismissal and summary judgment of a patent-infringement suit directed at a device used in the wood-products manufacturing industry.
- Appointed arbitrator in over 60 matters involving patents; trademarks; trade secrets; licensing disputes; breach of warranty and contract disputes involving software systems, high tech manufacturing machines, processing equipment, manufacturing parts, and medical devices; franchise disputes; insurance disputes; business disputes; and malpractice claims, among other matters.
- Successfully mediated cases involving patents, trademarks, business disputes, contract disputes, and other matters.
(Arbitration; Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Intellectual Property; Litigation - Patent; Mediation), 2007–2015Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
– Intellectual Property Litigation, 2005–2013Minnesota Super Lawyers,
2002–2014Minnesota Super Lawyers
Top 100, 2013
North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association,