Wally Hilke practices primarily in the areas of shareholder and family business disputes, fraud, corporate governance and employment litigation. He has represented clients in more than two hundred shareholder and securities-fraud disputes, including dissenter’s-rights actions, shareholder-oppression lawsuits and disputes concerning employee-shareholders. He also regularly represents clients in noncompetition, trade-secret, and wind energy disputes.
Wally regularily advises clients on business ownership, governance, and valuation disputes. He prides himself on developing practical and economical approaches to deliver excellent outcomes for his clients, often without the need for litigation. He chairs Lindquist & Vennum’s Shareholder Disputes practice group and is the former chair of the Commercial Litigation practice group. Wally has represented a number of companies in the Life Sciences arena on litigation, corporate and business issues.
A frequent speaker on business ownership disputes, Wally is also active in community affairs. He is a past regent of the University of Minnesota and served as committee chairman for two years.
In 2009, Wally was honored with the Leonard E. Lindquist Pro Bono Award for his long-time leadership, commitment, and passion to providing pro bono work throughout the community.
The general counsel of an Arizona company and Lindquist & Vennum client recently commented on Wally’s work in a note to the firm’s Managing Partner:
“I want to commend the work of Wally Hilke . . . (and the rest of the Lindquist team) in our recent arbitration case. Wally’s ability to understand and analyze the financial data and to make unique/novel arguments was key, not to mention his close attention to detail. He also did a great job handling/presenting the witnesses . . . . In short, we will call on Wally . . . in the future for litigation needs nationwide and not just in Minnesota/Midwest.”
Honors and Awards
- An Employer’s Guide to Employment Law in Minnesota, Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development and Lindquist & Vennum, contributing editor, 2009
- A Guide to Biotechnology Finance, Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development and Lindquist & Vennum, contributing editor, 2005
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2006–2013
- Leonard E. Lindquist Pro Bono Award, 2009
- Alumni of Notable Achievement Award, University of Minnesota, 2010
- Former Regent, University of Minnesota
- Former President, University of Minnesota College of Liberal Arts Alumni Association
- ACLU of Minnesota, 2003–present, past board President, committee chair, board member, and volunteer attorney
- Volunteer Mediator, Hennepin County Harassment Court
- Youth soccer coach, 13 years