Mark, an attorney who focuses on patent, trade-secret, and related intellectual property litigation, chairs Lindquist & Vennum’s intellectual property practice group. He also practices general commercial litigation in both state and federal courts, including matters involving breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation, tortious interference, restricted covenants, and professional duties. In addition to handling dispute resolution, Mark advises clients in licensing and other transactional matters involving intellectual property.
Mark, as part of a group that included the United States Patent and Trademark Office, several Minneapolis law firms, and the nonprofit LegalCorps, assisted in the creation of the pilot program for patent pro bono that has been replicated numerous times over the past two years in other jurisdictions across the United States. Mark will remain active with the Council through committees dedicated to improving best practices, risk management, and training.
He began his career by serving as a judicial clerk for the Hon. D. Nick Caporale of the Nebraska Supreme Court.Patent Cases
- American Automatrix v. TSI Inc. Defended manufacturer of high tech laboratory testing equipment against alleged patent infringement claims.
- Canine EIC Genetics v. Animal Genetics, Inc. Successfully defended veterinary diagnostic laboratory against claims of infringement related to gene identification.
- Digital Angel v. Datamars. Represented Datamars against patent infringement claims related to RFID tracking and identification of companion animals.
- CNS v. Silver Eagle Labs. Represented CNS in patent infringement suit against entity making and selling infringing device used to alleviate breathing restrictions in nasal passages.
- Intercat v. Nol-Tec. Represented Nol-Tec in defense of patent infringement claims involving loaders used by oil refineries to refine crude oil.
- Card Technology v. DataCard. Represented Card Technology in patent infringement suit against competitor in smart card industry.
Intellectual Property and Additional Representative Cases
- Noll v. Winmark. Obtained indemnification and defense for retailer accused of trademark infringement related to manufacturer’s products.
- Brenneke GmbH v. Eldorado Cartridge Company. Pursued trademark infringement and deceptive trade practices case against alleged infringer of marks in shotgun slug market.
- Cherne Industries v. IPS Corp. Represented Cherne Industries in trade dress and trademark suit against entity selling pneumatic test plugs.
Publications & Presentations
- Inventitives, Inc. v. St. Jude Medical, AFD. Defended St. Jude Medical, AFD in alleged trade secret matter in the medical device industry.
- Cedar Fair v. Minntertainment Company. Represented Cedar Fair in multiple matters related to termination of Cedar Fair as Manager of Camp Snoopy at the Mall of America.
- LCI v. Gibis. Represented LCI against former employees who misappropriated trade secrets and related confidential information to start-up a competing company.
Honors and Awards
- “Identifying, Protecting and Leveraging Your Intangible Assets,” Fidelity Bank Intellectual Capital Webinar Series, Co-Presenter, June 2013
- “IP Licensing & Assignments in the Litigation or Other Dispute-Resolution Context,” IP Issues in Contracts MCLE, Co-Presenter, June 2013 & January 2012
- “Patents 101, Non-Practicing Entities, and Your Growing Business,” North Metro E-Club, May 2013
- Patent Law Pro Bono: A Best Practices Handbook, September 2012
- “Keyword Advertising,” Chapter, originally published in The IP Book, Minnesota CLE, 2010
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Minnesota Rising Stars, 2002-2004, 2006, 2009
- ABA Vice-Chair, Intellectual Property Law Pro Bono Committee, 2013-2014
- AIA Pro Bono Task Force, Member, 2012-present
- Rotary, Blaine–Ham Lake Chapter, 2005–2010
- Fourth District Ethics Committee, 2006–2010
- Street Legal Motorcycle Club, 2000–2010