Tony assists clients with design, implementation, and administration of defined-contribution and defined-benefit plans, including 401(k) and nonqualified deferred-compensation plans. He has extensive experience in trust company, corporate, and law firm environments, and works with clients in a wide range of industries, including medical device manufacturing, banking, retail, and construction.
Tony’s recent work includes:
- Assisting clients with employee benefit matters during corporate mergers and acquisitions
- Reviewing clients’ service-provider agreements and fees
- Working with trust companies and other service providers on product development and ERISA fiduciary and compliance matters
- Assisting plan sponsors with fiduciary duties involving investment policy statements
Before joining Lindquist & Vennum, Tony served as senior vice president for the Institutional Financial Services Division of U.S. Bancorp, where he was responsible for a variety of employee benefits issues, including technical training and the integration of Piper Trust Company into U.S. Bancorp. Before that, he practiced at the Twin Cities law firm of Dorsey & Whitney as a member of its employee benefits department, and with Diversified Energies, Inc., as its benefits attorney.
Tony began his career by serving as a law clerk for the Hon. Harry H. MacLaughlin of the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota. He is a certified retirement-services professional with the Institute of Certified Bankers, and a member of the Midwest Pension Conference.
Tony has published articles in Personnel, Profit Sharing,
and Pension World
. He is also a frequent lecturer, speaking at the Minnesota State Bar Association’s continuing-legal-education seminars, the Midwest Pension Conference, the American Bankers Association National Employee Benefit Trust School, the Minnesota Institute of Legal Education, the Mid-Sized Pension Management Conference, the Minneapolis Pension Council and the American Society of Pension Actuaries.
Tony has given presentations for:
- Minnnesota State Bar Association's Continuing Legal Education
- The Minnesota Institute of Legal Education
- The Midwest Pension Conference
- The Mid-Sized Pension Management Conference
- The Minneapolis Pension Council
- The American Bankers Association's National Employee Benefit Trust School
- The American Society of Pension Actuaries