DeAnne Hilgers represents employers of all sizes on business immigration-related matters, including Form I-9 audits and compliance, as well as with inspections and raids by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the U.S. Department of Labor. She has assisted numerous employers in gaining and improving corporate compliance before ICE becomes involved, and has negotiated several successful results on behalf of her clients after ICE has become involved.
DeAnne helps companies and individuals secure employment-based immigrant visas, including immigrant (permanent residence) and nonimmigrant (temporary) visas for executives and managers, individuals of exceptional ability, business visitors, workers in specialty occupations, trainees and entrepreneurs. She also assists with the related family-based immigration matters and has handled several political asylum and DACA cases pro bono.
- Represented and counseled numerous companies in the manufacturing, food processing, construction, temporary employment, printing and agriculture industries who were subject to enforcement actions by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division.
- Represented numerous companies in appeals from a Notice of Intent to Fine in amounts ranging from five to seven figures.
- Conducted Form I-9 audits and advised on immigration compliance for private equity groups with respect to mergers and acquisitions of their holdings.
- Designed and developed immigration policies and best practices related to Form I-9, E-Verify and SSA "no-match" letters for numerous companies.
- Represented international manufacturing companies in obtaining and retaining highly skilled workers and transferring key international personnel to the United States.
- Successfully represented 6 individuals seeking political asylum in the United States.
Presentations and Publications
Interviewee, "Push to Give Immigrants Temporary Work Permits Draws Praise, Worry in Minnesota," Star Tribune, January 24, 2015
Panelist, Workplace Enforcement and Immigration Annual Conference, Federal Bar Association, Chicago Chapter, 2011, 2012, 2013
“USCIS E-Verify Web Interface Has Been Redesigned: What You Need to Know,” Lindquist & Vennum, Legal Alert, June 2010
Honors and Awards
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2013
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009
- Adjunct Professor, William Mitchell College of Law
- Board Member, Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
- MSBA Immigration Council
- MSBA Immigration Section Pro Bono Committee
- Past Chair, Minnesota/Dakotas Chapter, American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Board Member, AILA National Verification and Documentation Liaison Committee