Craig has more than 23 years’ experience handling a wide range of sophisticated transactions, including real estate purchases and sales, leases, financing transactions, and land use. He also has an active practice representing charter schools.
Craig began his practice as a real estate litigator. Although his practice has been exclusively transactional for more than a decade, his courtroom experience informs his approach to structuring transactions that are precise and efficient. Craig’s personal goal is to deliver services to his clients that he would want if he himself were the client. He strives to understand what his clients want to achieve, and then focuses on efficiently achieving those goals.
Craig is a Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) Board Certified Real Property Specialist and is licensed to practice in Minnesota and California. He maintains active matters in both states. His experience includes:
- Assisted a land owner in the development of the Lowe’s retail store in South San Francisco, California.
- Represented a landowner in a sale of property for development as a Wal-Mart in Fairmont, Minnesota.
- Represented a residential developer before township and county in a subdivision development near Prior Lake, Minnesota.
- Represented landowner acquisition and pre-development of a Kohl’s store in Sacramento.
- Represented landowner acquisition of numerous shopping-center out parcels occupied by fast-food ground leases.
- Represented the buyer of a significant multi-tenant out parcel of Southland Mall in Hayward, California.
- Handled the real estate portion of multiple UPREIT transactions.
- Handled numerous IRC §1031 exchanges and reverse exchanges.
- Assisted developers with private placement memoranda to raise capital for developments.
- Represented the owner of Camille’s Sidewalk Café locations with leases at shopping centers throughout the Midwest.
- Represented a San Francisco landlord on numerous “dot-com” leases, including marquee tenants such as Yahoo!, Wired magazine, and Organic Online.
- Represented landlords and tenants in numerous office leases for hundreds of thousands of square feet.
- Represented the lead lender in participated construction financing on numerous senior-care and assisted-living facilities nationwide.
- Represented the lender in construction financing on franchised hotels throughout the northern prairie states.
- Represented the lender on ground lease financing for development of several hundred homes in Las Vegas. The structure was uniquely tailored to address aggressive Nevada construction defect law.
- Represented lenders on hundreds of millions of dollars of real estate financing in numerous states across the nation.
- Represented Harvest Preparatory Academy in its bond financing for the Seed Facility.
- Represented Yinghua Academy during its purchase of the Putnam School from Minneapolis Public Schools.
- Helped Partnership Academy secure a long-term lease on its current facility.
- Represented numerous charter schools in all phases of formation and facility acquisition.
- Minnesota State Bar Association Certified Real Property Law Specialist
- “What Can a Landlord Do if a Tenant Abandons a Lease?” (with David A. Meyer), Minnesota Real Estate Journal, September 2008
- "Legal & Strategic Issues for Office Development & Leasing,” Minnesota Real Estate Journal Office Summit, September 2009
- “UCC For Dirt Lawyers,” Real Estate Institute, Minneapolis, 2006, 2005