Susan Barnes focuses her practice on regulatory issues impacting financial institutions, their directors, officers, shareholders, and other affiliated parties. For more than 30 years, Susan has represented a wide range of financial institutions and affiliated parties in an equally wide variety of regulatory, enforcement, investigative and litigation matters.
She routinely counsels clients on examination and regulatory issues, enforcement actions, and a myriad of general safety and soundness issues. Susan represents financial institutions and their directors and officers in enforcement, investigative and litigation proceedings brought by federal and state banking agencies, including FDIC, OCC, FRB and NCUA. Susan also represents former directors and officers of failed banks in connection with demand letters, threats of civil money penalties and removals, and in filed FDIC failed bank litigation.
- Represented numerous troubled financial institutions in negotiating reasonable memorandums of understanding, cease and desist orders, and civil money penalties.
- Represented financial institutions and their directors and officers in hearings on a variety of enforcement actions before the Office of Financial Institutions Adjudication.
- Represented financial institutions in appeals of examination findings and other material supervisory matters.
- Represented directors and officers in threatened and filed litigation brought by the FDIC as receiver of failed banks.
- Represented financial institutions and their directors and officers in a variety of lawsuits involving allegations of breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, gross negligence and breach of contract.
- Represented financial institutions and their directors and officers in matters before the FDIC, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Federal Reserve System, the National Credit Union Administration and numerous state banking departments.
Susan has received an AV-rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is included in their 2013 Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers™.