Marcus assists clients in the Midwest and across the country with commercial real estate and construction-related transactions. He has extensive experience with property acquisition, disposition, investment funds, development, leasing, financing, governmental assistance and entitlements, and construction contracts. He also serves as outside general counsel for numerous clients and advises companies on regulatory compliance and land use issues.
Before joining Lindquist & Vennum, Marcus served as general counsel for Opus North Corporation and as associate general counsel at Opus Corporation, where he advised corporate boards, executive management, and employees with respect to a wide range of issues relating to general business and corporate law, joint ventures, real estate, construction, and finance. Prior to his tenure at Opus, he was senior counsel at Target Corporation, where he held responsibility for all legal aspects of new-store development in New England, Pennsylvania, and Ohio and for existing-store matters nationwide. Marcus also is an adjunct professor at William Mitchell College of Law. Representative Experience
- Developing a $100 million downtown Minneapolis hotel and condominium complex involving a historic renovation, a five-parcel land assemblage, and negotiation of more than $10 million in tax increment financing and other governmental subsidies.
- Serving as general counsel and subsequently outside general counsel for Opus North Corporation, providing representation regarding every aspect of its business including development, construction and property management.
- Responsible for negotiation of design/build and construction contracts on numerous projects throughout the country in excess of $500 million dollars.
- Representing private equity funds with all aspects of finance, acquisition, disposition and management of real estate asset portfolios.
- Assisting numerous residential developers in strategic planning and negotiating all necessary agreements in the development of more than 3,000 housing units in the Twin Cities metropolitan area.
- Representing the Walker Art Center and Minneapolis Institute of Arts with their respective expansion efforts.
- Representing a Fortune 500 company for the sale and disposition of more than 20 office and industrial sites throughout North America.
- Assisting a storage facility owner with a $43 million multi-state refinancing of 28 facilities.
- Serving as lead counsel for a prominent Twin Cities charity in a three-year, multi-city effort to locate an appropriate site, assemble the necessary real estate parcels, and develop a $30 million children’s home and charter school.
- Acting as outside general counsel for numerous clients involved with the real estate, energy, and construction industries.
- Real Property Law Specialist (Minnesota State Bar Association)
Honors and Awards
- Adjunct Professor, William Mitchell College of Law
- Minnesota Rising Stars, 2002–2003