David has served as Lindquist & Vennum’s General Counsel and chair of the firm’s Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committee since 1993. He focuses his practice on professional liability and responsibility matters, representing individual lawyers, law firms, corporations and individuals. In addition, David has a depth of experience handling complex commercial litigation matters arising out of business transactions, real estate litigation, along with energy and telecommunications regulatory matters.
David is a former member of the Minnesota Lawyers Professional Responsibility Board, where he served by appointment of the Minnesota Supreme Court from 2003 to 2009. He served as chair of the board’s Rules Committee and Evidentiary Hearing Panel from 2005 to 2009.
David taught Professional Responsibility as an Adjunct Professor at William Mitchell College of Law. He has been a featured speaker at more than 75 Continuing Legal Education seminars in the past 10 years on the subjects of legal ethics, attorney professional responsibility, liability, loss prevention and risk management issues.
- “If You Don’t Know It, Don’t Do It,” ABA Journal, December 2009
- “Negotiation Ethics,” Bench & Bar of Minnesota (with William Wernz), April 2009
- “The Ten Most Significant Ethical Risks that Arise at the Beginning, Middle and End of a Client Representation, and the Steps You Need To Take to Limit or Eliminate Those Risks,” April 2013 (HCBA)
- “Answers to the Toughest Ethical Questions Confronting Minnesota Lawyers Today,” May 2013 (MCLE)
- “Trusted Rabbi or Witness for the Prosecution: Developments Affecting the Role of Law Firm General Counsel and the Status of the In-Firm Privilege,” October 2013 (ABA)
- “Selected Ethics Topics for In-House Counsel,” November 2013 (Twin Cities Chief Legal Officers Group (CLOG) Continuing Legal Education)
Honors and Awards
- Hennepin County Bar Association Professionalism Award, 2013
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2007, 2011-2014