David has served as Lindquist & Vennum’s General Counsel and chair of the firm’s Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committee since 1993. He focuses his practice on professional liability and responsibility matters, representing individual lawyers, law firms, corporations and individuals. In addition, David has a depth of experience handling complex commercial litigation matters arising out of business transactions, real estate litigation, along with energy and telecommunications regulatory matters.
David is a former member of the Minnesota Lawyers Professional Responsibility Board, where he served by appointment of the Minnesota Supreme Court from 2003 to 2009. He served as chair of the board’s Rules Committee and Evidentiary Hearing Panel from 2005 to 2009.
David teaches professional responsibility as an adjunct professor at William Mitchell College of Law. He has been a featured speaker at more than 75 Continuing Legal Education seminars in the past 10 years on the subjects of legal ethics, attorney professional responsibility, liability, loss prevention and risk management issues.
- “If You Don’t Know It, Don’t Do It,” ABA Journal, December 2009
- “Negotiation Ethics,” Bench & Bar of Minnesota (with William Wernz), April 2009
- The Impact of the Bad Economy on Lawyers: The Perceptions and Perspectives of the Professional Liability Insurers; December 10, 2010 (HCBA)
- Counsel and Insurer Beware: Reporting Requirements Under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act; November 12, 2010 (HCBA)
- The Boundaries of Negotiation Ethics for the Real Estate Attorney – Puffery or Prevarication?;November 12, 2010 (2010 Real Estate Institute/MSBA)
- Email and the Attorney Work Product and Attorney-Client Privilege; September 22, 2010 (ACC Webinar)
- What Keeps You Up At Night?; September 14, 2010 (9th Annual Law Firm General Counsel’s Forum, Hildebrandt Institute)
Honors and Awards
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2007, 2011-2012